АвтомобилиАстрономияБиологияГеографияДом и садДругие языкиДругоеИнформатикаИсторияКультураЛитератураЛогикаМатематикаМедицинаМеталлургияМеханикаОбразованиеОхрана трудаПедагогикаПолитикаПравоПсихологияРелигияРиторикаСоциологияСпортСтроительствоТехнологияТуризмФизикаФилософияФинансыХимияЧерчениеЭкологияЭкономикаЭлектроника
II. Choose the right variant a, b, c or d. 11. Dad phoned us and asked if our luggage
11. Dad phoned us and asked if our luggage ... .
a. was already being packed c. had already been packed
b. was already packed d. has already been packed
12. In Greece the Olympic Games ... once in 4 years.
a. were held c. are held
b. are being held d. have been held
13. Nobody answers the phone. They ... be out.
a. should c. can
b. would d. must
14. My dentist says I... eat so many sweets.
a. needn't c. ought not
b. mustn't d. should
a. can c. must
b. have d. may
16. We are busy today, but we have ... little time to spare tomorrow.
a. a c. -
b. the d. an
17.... English Channel is between Great Britain and France.
a. an c. the
b. a d.-
18.... Lake Baikal is the deepest one in the world.
a. a c. -
b. the d. an
a. is c. are
b. am d. be
a. My parents' friends c. My parentses friends
b. My parentses' friends d. My parent's friend
21 Bad news ... fast.
22 His ... are white.
a. teeth e. teeths
b. tooth d. toothes
23 Dad came to ... school to see my teacher yesterday.
35. I have had my luggage ... .
a. weighed c. to weigh
b. weighting d. weigh
36. - 1 am tired. - ... .
a. So I do. c. I too.
b. So am I. d. So do I.
37. Bright colors don't ... her pale skin.
a. agree c. become
b. fit d. suit
38. She has a very nice voice and always speaks ... .
a. quietly c. quite
b. quiet d. quit
39.1 have been eating honey, so my fingers are ... .
a. dirty c. wet
b. sticky d. yellow
40. He can't make himself ... smoking.
a. give up c. gave up
b. to give up d. giving up
41. A friend of... came to stay with me.
a. my c. my own
b. myself d. mine
42. The American Congress consists of the Senate and the House of....
a. Lords c. Commons
b. Representatives d. Comrades
43. The first president to live in the White House was ... .
a. George Washington c. Bill Clinton
b. John Adams d. Ronald Reagan
44. What's the real name of Mark Twain?
a. John Griffith c. William Sydney Porter
b. Samuel Langhorne Clemens d. Robert Frost
45. "To be, or not to be, that is the question..."
a. Hamlet c. Othello
b. King Lear d. Macbeth
46. When did the Americans declare their independence?
a. 1620 c. 1905
b. 1776 d. 1805
a. - All right. c. - Very much the same.
b. - Rather well. d. - Very good.
PROBLEMS AND MISTAKES
• Don't mix up the words:
1. Only - the only.Хорошо известное наречие only - "только" часто смешивают с
the only, которое означает "единственный".
2. Some- the same..Some - количественное местоимение.
The same - прилагательное со значением "тот же".
3. Because- because of.Because - союз "потому, что", и за ним следует подлежащее.
Because of- предлог "из-за", "вследствие", и за ним следует обстоятельство.
4. То accept- принимать; to except- исключать.
5. То affect- влиять на; to effect- осуществлять.
6. About- приблизительно, около; above- выше.
7. At best- в лучшем случае ; the best- самый лучший.
8. То arise- возникать; to rise- подниматься.
9. Beside- рядом; besides- помимо (этого), кроме (этого).
10. By way of-вставить, by the way- между прочим.
11. Except- за исключением, expect- ожидать.
12. Few- почти не, очень мало; a few- несколько.
13. Hard- упорно, усиленно, тяжело, hardly-едва
1. Using the possessive 's with inanimate objects. E.g.: The window of her roomis open.
2. Using an object pronoun in a double genitive. E.g.: A friend of histold us the news.
3. Using hisself or theirselves instead of himselfor themselves.E.g.: They fell down and hurt themselves.
4.Using according to my opinion instead of in my opinion. E.g.: In my opinion,she's right.
5. Using under the rain instead of in the rain.E.g.: They played football in the rain.
6.Using both in a negative sentence instead of neither. E.g.: Neitherof them went to school today.
7. Using //// instead of beforeor when.
E.g.: I'd reached the school beforethe rain started. Or: I'd reached the school whenthe rain started.
8. To be busy,not to have to work. E.g.: I'm very busythis morning.
9. Dismount or get off a horse,etc., not come down from a horse, etc. E.g.: They got offtheir horses
Note: We got outof a taxi or a ear. We get onor offthe train, the bus, etc.
10. Make a mistake,not do a mistake. E.g.: I madeone mistake in dictation.
11. Tell or speak the truth,not say the truth. E.g.: Fiona always tellsthe truth.
Or: Fiona always speaksthe truth.
Note: Also to tell a lie(not to say a lie): He toldme a lie.
12. Give a mark,not put a mark.
Note: Avoid to put a lesson, to put a goal. Say instead: to give a lesson, to score a goal.
13. Explain to a person,not explain a person. E.g.: She explained thematter tome.
14. Knock at the door,not knock the door. E.g.: Who is knocking atthe door?
15. Pay for a thing,not pay a thing.
E.g.: How much did you pay forthe book'.'
Note: A person can payanother person. Не/She can also paya bill, an
account, or a subscription. Не/She pays fora thing that he/she buys
16.Remind a person of something,not remind a person something. E.g.: Please remind me ofthat later.
17. A or anwith the word half.E.g.: He drank half a glassof milk.
Note: Half a glass (an hour, a day, a mile,etc.) is the shortened form of half of a glass (of an hour, of a day, of a mile.etc.).
18. Answer (= reply to).
E.g.: Please answer my question.
Note: The noun answertakes to:His answer tomy question was wrong.
19. Comprise (= consist of).
E.g.: The book comprisesfive chapters. Or: The book is comprised offive chapters.
20. Resemble (= be similar to).
Note: resemblancetakes toor between:She bears no resemblance toher father; There is no resemblance betweenthem.
Дата добавления: 2015-08-05; просмотров: 5; Нарушение авторских прав