АвтомобилиАстрономияБиологияГеографияДом и садДругие языкиДругоеИнформатикаИсторияКультураЛитератураЛогикаМатематикаМедицинаМеталлургияМеханикаОбразованиеОхрана трудаПедагогикаПолитикаПравоПсихологияРелигияРиторикаСоциологияСпортСтроительствоТехнологияТуризмФизикаФилософияФинансыХимияЧерчениеЭкологияЭкономикаЭлектроника
Английский язык. Тема “Violence (Types of Crimes)”
Тема “Violence (Types of Crimes)”
TASK 1. Here are some English verbs connected with crime and law. Match the expressions with their definitions:
TASK 2. Fill in the blanks with one of the verbs from Task 1:
One of the two accused men ___________ at yesterday’s trial. Although his lawyer __________ him very well, he was still found guilty by the jury. The judge __________ him to two years in prison. He’ll probably _______ after eighteen months. The other accused man was luckier. He _________ and left the courtroom smiling broadly.
TASK 3. Match these terms with their definitions:
TASK 4. Give the Russian equivalents for the following expressions and sentences:
2. Short-term imprisonment
3. Driving in excess of the speed limit
4. Murdering a policeman during a robbery
5. Stealing $1,000 from a bank by fraud
6. Grievous bodily harm (almost killing someone)
7. Punishment is an ancient practice whose presence in modern cultures may appear to be out of place because it purposefully inflicts pain. In the minds of most people, however, it continues to find justification.
8. Causing death by dangerous driving
9. Long-term imprisonment
10. Stealing $1,000 from a bank by threatening someone with a gun
11. Malicious wounding (e.g. stabbing someone in a fight)
12. Possession of a gun without a licence
13. Selling drugs
14. For the most history punishment has been both painful and public in order to act as deterrent to others. Corporal punishments and public humiliations were social events and carried out in most accessible parts of towns.
TASK 5. Give the English equivalents for the following expressions:
a) телесные наказания;
b) смертная казнь;
c) пожизненное тюремное заключение;
d) непредумышленное убийство;
e) отбыть срок в тюрьме;
g) смягчить приговор;
h) приговаривать к смерти.
TASK 6. Answer the following questions in writing:
1. Why was capital punishment imposed so frequently in ancient societies?
2. Why did ancient punishment have to be painful?
3. Is imprisonment effective for revolutionaries and terrorists? Why?
Дата добавления: 2015-04-16; просмотров: 20; Нарушение авторских прав