АвтомобилиАстрономияБиологияГеографияДом и садДругие языкиДругоеИнформатикаИсторияКультураЛитератураЛогикаМатематикаМедицинаМеталлургияМеханикаОбразованиеОхрана трудаПедагогикаПолитикаПравоПсихологияРелигияРиторикаСоциологияСпортСтроительствоТехнологияТуризмФизикаФилософияФинансыХимияЧерчениеЭкологияЭкономикаЭлектроника
Study the essential vocabulary and translate the ilustrative examples into Russian.
2. Translate the following sentences into Russian:
1. James who felt very uncomfortable in that low chair, shifted his feet uneasily, and put one of them on the cat lying beside his chair. 2. Laws shift from generation to generation. 3. Abruptly it was all gone, the elation running out of me like air out of apricked balloon. 4. The nation's wealth in the country came to be concentrated in a few families. 5. If the facts once became known, it will be impossible for them to
evade the responsibility. 6. The key to the code evaded all his efforts. 7. One would admire his excellent qualities, but avoid his company. 8. Please answer, the question; do not evade. 9. Each person avoided the eyes of the others. 10. The latest reports confirmed the information he had previously received. 11. We think, we may as well give up the flat and store our things, we'll be gone for the summer. 12. The future didn't seem to hold so many fears in store. 13. We are well underway with the publication of the textbook. 14. "I can give you a lift." "No, I'm going the other way." 15. The night was pitch dark and he felt his way about. 16. He has a way with students and they crowd to his lecture. 17. There is nothing unusual of the letter, nothing out of the way. 18. My wife went into hysterics at the mention of the police, but I stood firm and at last she gave way. 19. I'll see to everything, all you have to do is not to get in the way. 20. They go out of their way to do you good ... but you feel like a fool. 21.1 gave him up (abandon) because didn't want to stand in his way. 22. Remember if there is any way in which I help you, it will be a pleasure. 23.1 made my way into the smoking room. 24. Now they were inclined to meet us half-way. 25.1 gave way to quite ungovernable grief. 26. So we two went on our way in great happiness. 27. The way to school was plain enough; the game consisted in finding some way that wasn't plain, starting off ten minutes early in some almost hopeless direction, and working my way round through unaccustomed streets to my goal. 28. He was walking part of the way home with me. 29. She didn't say anything but made way for us to pass. 30. He estimated they were half-way to the city. 31. hi contrast to the way she had been before, she was now just another elderly woman. 32. Our garden is overlooked from the neighbours' windows. 33. He complains that his services have been overlooked by his employers. 34. Carbon acid is formed when water absorbs carbon dioxide. 35. There was no amazement, but only an impression of being reminded of happy things that had in some strange way been overlooked.
3. Give the English equivalents for:
перекидывать в другую руку; свалить вину на кого-л.; менять точку зрения в споре; ночная смена;
поднимать настроение; быть в приподнятом настроении; приподнятое настроение;
сосредоточить внимание на чём-л.; сосредоточить усилия; сосредоточить власть в чьих-л. руках;
уклоняться от ответа; обойти закон; уклоняться от ответственности; уклоняться от воинской обязанности; уклониться от сути;
подтвердить сообщение; подтвердить слухи; ратифицировать договор; утвердить;
иметь про запас; запасать на зиму; отдавать (меха) на хранение; снабдить экспедицию продуктами; придавать чему-л. большое значение; склад; запасы оружия;
дать дорогу; уступить; дать волю (слезам);
необыкновенный, незаурядный; иметь подход к кому-л;
постараться изо всех сил; в виде, в качестве;
комната с видом на море; смотреть сквозь пальцы на чье-л. плохое поведение; проглядеть самое важное;
пропустить ошибку; упустить из виду обстоятельство;
поглощать, впитывать влагу; впитывать знания; поглощать звук; быть поглощенным работой; увлекательный рассказ; быть захваченным книгой.
4. a) Give the Russian equivalents for:
airway, archway, carriage way, doorway, driveway, gangway, getaway, highway, midway, motorway, railway, runway, sideway, stairway, waterway.
b) Give the opposite of the following statements using combination with the word "way":
1. He didn't stir a finger to help us. 2. The car will clear the way. 3. I'm sure he is at a loss and doesn't know what to do.
4. Do you think they will never agree to a compromise?
5. What you suggest is quite common. 6. Are you going in the opposite direction? 7. The pictures are similar in every way.
5. Paraphrase the following sentences using the essential vocabulary:
1. It was unfair of him to make me bear the responsibility. 2. As soon as he realized his plan had failed, he immediately changed his position. 3. She became too excited to act wisely and committed an error. 4. I'm so tired, I am unable to pay close attention to anything. 5. His responses were intentionally vague so as to avoid answering directly. 6. The lion escaped from the hunters. 7. The letter gave additional proof to the truth of the story. 8. Their support steeled my determination to
put the plan into execution. 9. Since we were leaving town for the summer, we decided to put our winter clothing in a warehouse for safe keeping. 10. She did not know what awaited her in the future. 11. Don't be overcome with despair. 12. There are some people who make a special effort to do others a good turn (to give others a helping hand). 13.1 failed to notice the printer's error. 14. The people gave all their attention to building a dam in the brook.
6. Use the essential vocabulary in answering the following questions:
1. What does one usually do if he is tired of standing on his feet (of holding smth in his hand)? 2. What can a dishonest person do if he does not want to take the responsibility for his fault? 3. What do you say of one who suddenly changes his opinion in an argument? 4. How do you feel if you get an excellent mark in an examination? 5. What must one do if he wants to solve a difficult problem? 6. What does one do if he does not want to give a direct answer to a question? 7. Why is an experiment necessary if one is not quite sure of the truth of his theory? 8. What do you call a man who is opposed to marriage? 9. What do you call a place where goods are kept? 10. What do you say of a person who makes a special effort to be nice to somebody? 11. What do you say of a person who is able to win the trust and affection of animals? 12. What do you say if you've missed a mistake in a dictation?
Дата добавления: 2015-01-29; просмотров: 14; Нарушение авторских прав