АвтомобилиАстрономияБиологияГеографияДом и садДругие языкиДругоеИнформатикаИсторияКультураЛитератураЛогикаМатематикаМедицинаМеталлургияМеханикаОбразованиеОхрана трудаПедагогикаПолитикаПравоПсихологияРелигияРиторикаСоциологияСпортСтроительствоТехнологияТуризмФизикаФилософияФинансыХимияЧерчениеЭкологияЭкономикаЭлектроника
Congress, the legislative branch of the federal government, is made up of the Senate and the House of Representatives. There are 100 Senators, two from each state. One third of the Senators are elected every two years for six-year terms of office. A senator must be at least 30 years old, a citizen of the United States for 9 years, and live in the state he or she represents.
The House of Representatives has 435 members. They are elected every two years for two-year terms. They represent the population of «congressional districts» into which each sate is divided. A representative must be at least 25 years old, a citizen for 7 years, and live in the state. The number of Representatives from each state is based upon its population. For instance, California, the state with the largest population, has 45 Representatives, while Delaware has one. There is no limit to the number of terms a Senator or a Representative may serve.
Almost all elections in the United States follow the «winner-take-all» principle: the candidate who wins the largest number of votes in a Congressional district is the winner.
Congress makes all laws, and each house of Congress has the power to introduce legislation. Each can also vote against legislation passed by the other. Because legislation only becomes law if both houses agree, compromise between them is necessary. Congress decides upon taxes and how money is spent. The Congress can also declare war. And the House of Representatives can also impeach the President. This means that the House can charge the President with a crime. In addition, Congress regulates commerce among the states and with foreign countries. It also sets rules for the naturalization of foreign citizens.
3. Translate the following word-combinations:
- «congressional districts»
- almost all elections
- «winner-take-all» principle
- six-year terms
- a citizen of the United States
- the number of representatives
- the largest number of votes
- foreign citizens.
4. Make up as many different word-combinations as you can with the next verbs:
- to make
- to introduce
- to vote against
- to become
- to declare
- to impeach
- to set .
5. Translate from Russian into English using the information of the text above:
Законодательная ветвь власти, состоять из, создавать законы, голосовать против, объявлять войну, обвинить в каком-либо преступлении, налоги, подвергнуть президента импичменту.
6. Complete the sentences according to the text:
1. Congress is made up of … and … ….
2. One third of the Senators are elected … … … for six-year terms of office.
3. The House of Representatives has … … .
4. The number of Representatives from each state is based upon … .
5. Each house of Congress has the power … … .
6. Congress also sets rules for the naturalization of foreign … .
7. How can you call in one word:
a) a member of a congress;
b) a member of a senate.
8. Here is the definition of the word. Guess the meaning:
… is the highest law-making body of the US, consisting of the Senate and the House of Representatives.
Дата добавления: 2015-01-29; просмотров: 21; Нарушение авторских прав