АвтомобилиАстрономияБиологияГеографияДом и садДругие языкиДругоеИнформатикаИсторияКультураЛитератураЛогикаМатематикаМедицинаМеталлургияМеханикаОбразованиеОхрана трудаПедагогикаПолитикаПравоПсихологияРелигияРиторикаСоциологияСпортСтроительствоТехнологияТуризмФизикаФилософияФинансыХимияЧерчениеЭкологияЭкономикаЭлектроника
TASK 12 (L 64-73)
1. Read the text and find in it the words and word combinations from this list. Supply them with Russian equivalents.
Word List 12
to be robbed of smth
to take smth literally
to be incorrigible
a struggling author
to scold smb
to owe smb smth
to make over smth
to match smth
a flash-and-blood person
to make out
for a single instant
2. Remember the context in which they were used.
3. Decide which Judy was and which she wasn’t, use the words below, support what you say with examples from the book.
Judy was… conventional in her views,
disrespectful to Daddy and other people,
convincing when she wanted to prove smth.
Judy was not in the least… frivolous, carefree and unconcerned,
an incorrigible optimist,
ready to defend her point of view.
4. Answer the following questions:
1) What did Judy recollect in L 64? What did she feel when she was thinking of the John Grier Home? How can you account for the change in her attitude towards her “Alma Mater”?
2) Why did Sally and Judy embellish Lock Willow with their Easter vacation?
3) Why did Judy mention that she was incorrigible, writing to Daddy about her latest activity on the Farm? What was she busy with? Do you think it was her benefit or imperfection?
4) What were Judy’s ideas about the new book she was writing?
5) Why did Judy ask Daddy-Long-Legs come to college for the commencement?
6) Why did Judy finish L 67 with “I tore you from my heart and buried me for ever.”?
7) Who was going to visit Judy at Lock Willow? Was it a pleasant prospect for Judy? Why did she mention that her poor book would suffer?
8) How did Carrie and Amasai change after their marriage? Did those changes influence Judy’s decision not to marry for ever?
9) Why did Judy begin thinking of moving from Lock Willow at the end of August?
10) Why do you think Judy was very unhappy?
11) Why was L 70 very short and quite unusual?
12) Why do you think Daddy-Long-Legs answered Judy’s letter at last?
13) Did he agree to see Judy? Explain why.
14) What did Judy write to Daddy-Long-Legs about her sending him a check for one thousand dollars?
15) What advice did Judy need to get from Daddy?
16) In what way did Judy describe Master Jervie in her letter to Daddy-Long-Legs?
17) Why did Judy refuse to marry Master Jervie?
18) Why was Judy so much afraid to go and see Daddy-Long-Legs?
19) Why do you think Daddy-Long-Legs agreed to meet Judy at last? What was their meeting like?
20) Why did Judy write in her last letter that “Yesterday was the most wonderful day that could ever happen. If I live to be ninety-nine – I shall never forget the tiniest detail.”?
5. Develop these ideas from Judy’s letters:
6. Comment on the following:
7. Find some information in the text to prove that:
– Judy was a person who feels and understands nature (you can use the previous letters as well);
– Judy was a proud person;
– Judy has changed “emerging full grown”;
– Judy was a very romantic girl;
– Judy was a persistent girl with a lot of ambitions and self-belief;
– Judy was in the enthusiastic stage about her book;
– Judy had always been “family sick”;
– Judy was unsure of her own behaviour;
– Judy would be a true loving wife for Mr Pendleton.
8. Imagine that you are:
– Sallie and speak of the Easter vacation at Lock Willow;
– Mr James McBride and speak of your visit to Lock Willow;
– Daddy-Long-Legs and explain why you had decided to break your own rule and write to Judy;
– Judy and explain why you have refused to marry Master Jervie;
– Judy and explain why you need Daddy’s advice so much;
– Master Jervie and speak of your feelings for Judy;
– Mr Pendleton and describe Miss Abbott’s visit to your house.
9. Act out the dialogues between Sallie and Judy to discuss:
– Judy’s affection for Master Jervie;
– Judy’s visit to Daddy-Long-Legs.
10. Write an essay on one of the topics from Ex. 6.
Дата добавления: 2015-09-13; просмотров: 6; Нарушение авторских прав