АвтомобилиАстрономияБиологияГеографияДом и садДругие языкиДругоеИнформатикаИсторияКультураЛитератураЛогикаМатематикаМедицинаМеталлургияМеханикаОбразованиеОхрана трудаПедагогикаПолитикаПравоПсихологияРелигияРиторикаСоциологияСпортСтроительствоТехнологияТуризмФизикаФилософияФинансыХимияЧерчениеЭкологияЭкономикаЭлектроника
VOCABULARY NOTES. 3. обслуживать, е.g. There was no one in
1. serveυt/i 1.служить, е.g. No man can serve two masters. He serves as gardener (no article!). He served three years in the army (navy). These shoes have served me two years. A wooden box served as a table,
2. подавать на стол, е.g. The waiter served the soup, Dinner is served,
3. обслуживать, е.g. There was no one in the shop to serve me.
to serve smb. right,е.g. It serves you right for having disobeyed me.
servicen 1.служба, е.g. Не was in active service during the war. He has been in the Diplomatic Service for three years.
2. обслуживание, е.g. The meals at this restaurant are good but the service is poor. The train service is good here.
3. услуга, одолжение, е.g. She nolonger needs the services of a doctor. My room is at your service.
servantn слуга, прислуга
2. familiaradj 1. знакомый, привычный, as a familiar voice (face, name, scene, handwriting, song, melody, tune, scent, smell, etc.)
to be familiar to smb., to be familiar with smth.,е.g. You should be familiar with the facts before you start investigation. He is familiar with many languages. Her face seems familiar to me.
2. близкий, интимный, е.g. Are you on familiar terms with him? Don't be too familiar with him, he's rather a dishonest man.
3. фамильярный, е.g. Don't you think he is a bit too familiar with her?
familiarity n близкое знакомство, фамильярность
3. impress υt запечатлевать в уме, производить впечатление; to impress smb.,е.g. This book did not impress me at all. I was greatly (deeply) impressed by his acting. What impressed you most in the play?
impressionn впечатление; to make (produce) an impressionon smb., to leave an impression on smb.,e, g. His speech made a strong impression on the audience. Punishment seemed to make little impression on the child. Tell us about your impressions of England. The group left a good (poor, favourable) impression on the examiner.
impressiveadj производящий (глубокое) впечатление, as an impressive ceremony (sight, scene, person, gesture, etc.), е.g. The scene was quite impressive.
4. obeyυt/i повиноваться, подчиняться, слушаться, е.g. Soldiers must obey orders. Children must obey grown-ups. But слушаться совета — to follow one's advice
Ant. to disobey
obedience n послушание, повиновение, покорность, е.g. Parents demand obedience from their children.
obedient adj послушный, покорный, е.g. Не is an obedient boy. The children have been obedient today.
Ant. disobedient, naughty [of a child)
5. light n свет, освещение, as sunlight, daylight, moonlight, gas light, electric light, е.g. The sun gives light to the earth. I got up before light. The light began to fail. Lights were burning in every room. Bring a light quickly! We saw the lights of the city. Look at the matter in the right light.
by the light of smth.при свете чего-л.
to stand in smb.'s lightзагораживать кому-л. свет; (fig) мешать кому-л., стоять у кого-л. на дороге
to throw (shed) light on smth.проливать свет на что-л. е.g. These facts shed (a) new light on the matter.
to put (switch, turn) on (off) the lightзажигать (гасить) свет
to give smb. a lightдать прикурить, e. д. Give me a light, please.
to come to lightобнаруживаться, выявляться, е.g. New evidence has recently come to light.
Light at the end of the tunnelсвет в конце туннеля, е.g. As the exams approached, she felt that at last she could see the light at the end of the tunnel.
lightadj светлый, as a light room, a light day; light hair, a light complexion; light brown (blue, green, grey, etc.)
to get lightсветать, е.g. It gets light very early these summer mornings.
light (lit or lighted) υt/i 1. зажигать(ся), as to light a lamp (a candle, a fire), е.g. He lit a lamp. Please light the stove.
to light a cigaretteзакурить
Ant. turn off(the gas), blow out(a candle), put out(a fire)
2. освещать (up), е.g. The streets were brightly lit up. The room was lighted by six windows. Our houses are lighted by electricity. The burning building lit up the whole district. The rising sun lit up the mountain tops.
sunlit, starlit (night, sky), moonlitadj
6. prevent υt предотвращать, предупреждать, мешать; to prevent smb. from (doing) smth., to prevent smth.,е.g. Rain prevented the game. I'll meet you at six if nothing prevents. Illness prevented him from doing the work. How-can you prevent it from happening? Something prevented him from coming (prevented his coming).
preventionn предотвращение; Proverb: Prevention is better than cure.
7. earn υt 1. зарабатывать, е.g. He earns a good wage because he works for a fair employer.
to earn one's livingзарабатывать себе на жизнь, е.g. She earned her living by sewing.
2. заслуживать, е.g. His first book earned him the fame of a novelist. The teacher told her pupils that they had earned a holiday. Her good work earned her the respect of her colleagues.
earnings n pl заработок, е.g. He has spent all his earnings.
8. do (did, done)υt/i 1. делать, выполнять, заниматься чём-n., as to do one's work, duty, shopping, morning exercises
е.g. You did well (wrong) to refuse. Having nothing better to do I went for a walk. There's nothing to be done now. No sooner said than done. Well begun is half done.
to do a sum решать арифметическую задачу
to do one's bestделать все возможное, е.g. I must do my best to help him,
2. причинять: to do good, to do harm, е.g. This medicine won't do you any good. His holiday has done him a world (a lot, a great deal) of good. It will do you more harm than good.
3. приводить в порядок, as to do one's hair (room, bed, etc.), е.g. I like the way she does her hair. Will you do the beds while I do the window?
4. осматривать достопримечательности, е.g. Did you do the British Museum when you were in London? We often see foreigners in Moscow doing the sights.
5. подходить, годиться: that will (won't) do, е.g. It won't do to play all day. The room will do us quite well. It won't do to sit up so late. This sort of work won't do for him. Will this sheet of paper do?
6. процветать, преуспевать, е.g. Le Ros did well in the Bureau. Everything in the garden is doing splendidly. She is doing very well at school.
to do away with smth.,е.g. Smoking should be done away with.
to have to do with smb. (smth.),е.g. He has to do with all sorts of people. We have to do with facts, not theories.
to have smth. (nothing, not much, little, etc.) to do with smb. (smth.),е.g. I advise you to have nothing to do with him. What have I to do with it?
Дата добавления: 2015-09-15; просмотров: 4; Нарушение авторских прав