АвтомобилиАстрономияБиологияГеографияДом и садДругие языкиДругоеИнформатикаИсторияКультураЛитератураЛогикаМатематикаМедицинаМеталлургияМеханикаОбразованиеОхрана трудаПедагогикаПолитикаПравоПсихологияРелигияРиторикаСоциологияСпортСтроительствоТехнологияТуризмФизикаФилософияФинансыХимияЧерчениеЭкологияЭкономикаЭлектроника
Compose your own sentences with each English equivalent of the words given in exercise 12. Compare your variants with the sentences of your partner.
14. Find in the text the synonyms to the following words:
15. Find in the text the antonyms to the following words:
16. Find in the text phrases which mean the same as:
17. Choose among the words in parentheses the one that corresponds to the text above to complete the sentences:
1. The story of the American people is a story of immigration and ___.
(a. diversity, b. uniformity, c. separation).
2. Acting on behalf of the ___ crown, in 1492 the Italian navigator Christopher Columbus sailed west from Europe and landed on one of the Bahama Islands in the Caribbean Sea.
(a. French, b. English, c. Spanish)
3. In 1783 the War of Independence ___ in favour of the colonists.
(a. ended, b. began, c. continued)
4. The United States has ___ more immigrants than any other country.
(a. rejected, b. repudiated, c. welcomed)
5. The United States is the ___ country in the world.
(a. fourth-largest, b. first-largest, c. the smallest)
6. Different parts of the USA ___ extremes of heat and cold characteristic of hot tropical deserts or cold Arctic continental regions.
(a. evoke, b. experience, c. cause)
7. The ___, elected for 4 years, is head of the state and government.
(a. Queen, b. Prime-Minister, c. President)
8. The ___ power belongs to the Congress which consists of the House of Representatives and the Senate.
(a. judicial, b. executive, c. legislative)
9. The USA is a highly developed ___ country.
(a. agricultural, b. industrial, c. mechanized)
18. Read the above text once more. In pairs, discuss the statements below. Say what you think about them and ask your partner if he/she agrees or disagrees with you. Use the following phrases to help you:
1. The story of the American people is a story of immigration and diversity.
2. The demand for Asian spices, textiles, and dyes spurred European navigators to dream of shorter routes between East and West.
3. The USA came into existence on July 4th, 1489.
4. The USA is bordered on the north by Mexico.
5. Different parts of the USA experience extremes of heat and cold characteristic of hot tropical deserts or cold Arctic continental regions.
6. The USA is a constitutional monarchy.
7. The executive power belongs to the Congress which consists of the House of Representatives and the Senate.
8. Elections to the Congress are every three years.
9. The USA is a highly developed industrial country.
10. The capital of the USA is New York.
19. Fill in the gaps with the words from the box:
EXECUTIVE BRANCH. The chief executive of the United States is the president, who together with the 1 ___ is elected for a 2 ___. As a result of a constitutional 3 ___ that went into effect in 1951, a president may be elected to only 4 ___ terms. Other than succeeding a president who dies or is disabled, the vice president's only official duty is presiding over the Senate. The vice president may vote in the 5 ___ only to break a tie. The president's powers are formidable but not unlimited. As the chief formulator of national policy, the president proposes 6 ___ to Congress. As mentioned previously, the president may 7 ___ any bill passed by Congress. The president is 8 ___ of the armed forces. The president has the authority 9 ___ federal judges as vacancies occur, including justices of the Supreme Court. As head of his political party, with ready access to the news media, the president can easily 10 ___ public opinion.
Check your answers on p.279.
20. Read and translate the text below to learn about the main cities of the USA:
Text 4 B
Washington and New York
Washington is the capital of the United States. The city was founded in 1790 on a site chosen by George Washington, the first President of the USA. Washington is not the largest city in the USA, it has the population about one million people. In the political sense, however, it is the most important city in the US. Washington is one of the world's most beautiful capitals, not only the centre of the National Government, but also it has become a great cultural, educational and scientific centre. It has many famous monuments: the Library of the Congress of the USA, the Abraham Lincoln Memorial, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, the Washington Monument.
New York is the most populous city in the United States, the most densely populated major city in North America, as well as the centre of international finance, politics, entertainment, and culture. New York City is home to an almost unrivaled collection of world-class museums, galleries, performance venues, media outlets, international corporations, and stock exchanges. The city is also home to all of the missions to the United Nations, which has its headquarters in New York City. New York is widely regarded as one of the great intellectual, financial, and cultural centers of the world. New York has an area of 309 square miles (800 km²). Estimated in 2004 to have more than 8,168,388 residents, it is the heart of the New York Metropolitan Area, which is one of the largest urban conglomerations in the world with a population of over 22 million. New York City proper comprises five boroughs: Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island.
The city includes large populations of immigrants from over 180 countries who help make it one of the most cosmopolitan places on earth. Many people from all over the United States are also attracted to New York City for its culture, energy, and cosmopolitism, and by their own hope of making it big in the «Big Apple». The city serves as an enormous engine for the global economy, and is home to more than 500 companies.
TEXT AND VOCABULARY EXERCISES
21. Find in the text the words or phrases which mean the same as:
22. Match each word in A with the Russian equivalent in B:
23. Find in the text the right word to complete the sentences:
1. ___ is the capital of the United States.
2. In the political sense it is the ___.
3. Washington is one of the world's most beautiful ___.
4. New York is the ___.
5. New York City is home to an almost unrivaled collection of world-class ___.
6. The city includes large populations of immigrants ___.
Дата добавления: 2014-11-13; просмотров: 15; Нарушение авторских прав