АстрономияБиологияГеографияДругие языкиДругоеИнформатикаИсторияКультураЛитератураЛогикаМатематикаМедицинаМеханикаОбразованиеОхрана трудаПедагогикаПолитикаПравоПсихологияРиторикаСоциологияСпортСтроительствоТехнологияФизикаФилософияФинансыХимияЧерчениеЭкологияЭкономикаЭлектроника
UNIT 10. Pre-Text Exercises Word Building Active Vocabulary Text 10 A
⇐ ПредыдущаяСтр 49 из 194Следующая ⇒
1. Choose the correct word to fill the gaps:
1. She left ___ the afternoon without saying good bye.
a) in; b) on; c) at.
2. Monty arrived ___ a cold winter day and we were very glad to see him.
a) at; b) on; c) in.
3. ___ last he remembered all the facts and wrote them down not to forget them again.
a) in; b) on; c) at.
4. They went to Paris ___ train because they liked it.
a) by; b) on; c) in.
5. The weather was rather warm and we decided to go ___ a walk.
a) at; b) on; c) for.
6. He knew a lot of poems and liked to recite them ___ memory.
a) for; b) from; c) on.
7. We didn’t know what to do ___ these circumstances and asked him for advice.
a) under; b) at; c) by.
8. They always keep everything ___ secret.
a) on; b) at; c) in.
7. He was going along the forest picking ___ all the mushrooms he saw.
a) on; b) at; c) up.
8. Ring me ___ when you come home. I’ll be waiting for your call.
a) up; b) on; c) over.
9. This face was strange ___ me and I couldn’t recall it at all.
a) on; b) to; c) at.
2. Explain the meaning of the following words and phrases in English:
3. Fill in the gaps with a suitable word to complete the sentences:
1. Maxwell defines electricity as a ___ physical quantity.
2. The properties of charged bodies ___ such that the charge of one body may be equal to that of another.
3. Faraday investigated the nature of electricity and frequently used the ___ «quantity of electricity» to refer to quantities of electric charge.
4. The nucleus contains positively charged particles ___ protons and uncharged particles called neutrons.
5. Power is a basic part of nature and it is one of our ___ widely used forms of energy.
6. An electric power station uses either a turbine, engine, water wheel, or other similar machine ___ an electric generator or a device that converts mechanical or chemical energy to power.
7. Dictionaries often define electricity as «a fundamental entity ___ nature consisting of negative and positive kinds.»
8. If a charged particle moves through a constant magnetic field, its speed stays the same, but its direction is ___ changing.