АвтомобилиАстрономияБиологияГеографияДом и садДругие языкиДругоеИнформатикаИсторияКультураЛитератураЛогикаМатематикаМедицинаМеталлургияМеханикаОбразованиеОхрана трудаПедагогикаПолитикаПравоПсихологияРелигияРиторикаСоциологияСпортСтроительствоТехнологияТуризмФизикаФилософияФинансыХимияЧерчениеЭкологияЭкономикаЭлектроника
A:Come along, we are only just in time for the train.
B: Oh, no! We're all right: it doesn't go out for another twenty
minutes yet. A: I thought it went at 12.30.
В: No, not till 12.50.
A: Oh, that's all right! Have you got the tickets?
B: No, let's go along to the booking-office. 1 want a few magazines and newspapers, so we'll call at the bookstall on the way.
A: Yes, and I've left a bag in the cloakroom: I'll just slip along there and reclaim it while you get the tickets and newspapers.
B: Right — he! I'll meet you outside the left-luggage office in ten minutes' time.
C: I'm glad you are coming on my train: we can travel together. Have you a reserved seat? D: No, the train isn't very crowded and we'll get a seat quite
easily. Here's a porter; he can put our bags in the guard's van
and find us seats. Porter! Porter: Yes, sir. You want these bags to go into the luggage van
of the 12.50. Are the bags labelled, sir? C: Yes, there's a tie-on label on mine and a stick-on label on
my friend's. Get us two corner seats in a first-class smoker. Porter: Very good, sir. Better come along at once; the train is
filling up quickly. Platform 14. D: Ah! Here we are. How do you like to sit, facing the engine
or with your back to it? C: I don't mind either way, but if it's all the same to you I'd
prefer to sit the way the train is going. D: That will suit me perfectly. I'm rather fussy about not sitting
in a draught, so I prefer to sit with my back to the engine.
A: Well, here we are, ready for the journey.
B: Put this small bag on the rack above your head, will you? I'll
just go along the corridor and see where the dining-car is and
book for the first service; I'm hungry. к Right, we shan't be long now, the signals are down and the
guard is blowing the whistle. He's waving his flag. We're off,
6. Supply the missing adverbs and prepositions:
1) What train are you going ...? 2) it's a non-stop train ...Bournemouth. 3) I'm Yakutsk... the midnight train. 4) The signal is up, ... the train. When the line is clear and the train is due to start, it will be ... . 5) I'll meet you ... the booking-office. 6) Most of the passengers got... the train ... Tula. 7) The train began to slow ... and finally stopped. 8) We are due ... London ... six twenty. 9) At last the Moscow train came ... .
10) He is going ... a journey ... the Crimea. 11) He took the rack the things the porter had put ... them. 12) I bought a magazine ... the bookstall to read ... the train. 13) Does the 5.20
7. Supply words of the root "travel". Translate the sentences into Russian:
1) I was introduced to a young man ... to Paris. 2) She had decided that air ... was really rather boring and would not... by plane. 3) What did your ... expenses come to? 4) From outside came shrill distant notes of train whistles bringing the yearning for.... 5) She was like an elder sister to me, taking charge of... arrangements and tickets. 6) Are you fond of...? 7) He has ... all over Europe. 8) What a nuisance to ... alone with a party of children! 9) The long-distance coach was ... at a high speed. 10) I've done a certain amount of... and of all the means of travel I prefer... by air. 11)1 came by air. It's a wonderful way of.... 12) With a motor-car you can ... quickly and cheaply, but for
long journeys it's rather tiring. 13) ... by sea, is nowadays very comfortable and enjoyable.
8. Supply one of the following verbs:
come (in), go (out), pull in (out), get, get (in, out, on, off), travel, start, board, alight, leave, take, make, arrive, carry, pick up, change, catch.
1) I... to the platform two minutes before the train ... . 2) I ... the train just as it was ... out. 3) She ... a bus at the next corner. 4) What time do we ... to Glasgow? 5) A fare is what a passenger pays to be ... from one place to another. 6) 1 ... by the 8.45. 7) Father made signs to us ... into the train without delay. 8) The next train is the last, if we miss that we shan't... to Moscow tonight. 9) The train ... at fifty miles an hour. 10) They ... the night train. 11) The taxi-driver... up another passenger and ... him as far as Victoria. 12) If the train doesn't ... till twenty past seven, you can't ... home before half past. 13) Though he ... the journey very often he always felt excited when the train was approaching Moscow. 14) Does the No. 10 bus ... along Kirov Street? 15) I don't like flying. I think it's more interesting to ... by train. 16) He gave up his ticket, and ... his own luggage to a station taxi. 17) Why do people usually avoid ... trains and try to ... seats on through trains? 18) Can you tell me how many passengers the Moscow Metro ... a day? 19) I'm glad you're ... on my train, we can ... together. 20) Airlines can ... heavy weights through the air.
Дата добавления: 2014-11-13; просмотров: 24; Нарушение авторских прав