АвтомобилиАстрономияБиологияГеографияДом и садДругие языкиДругоеИнформатикаИсторияКультураЛитератураЛогикаМатематикаМедицинаМеталлургияМеханикаОбразованиеОхрана трудаПедагогикаПолитикаПравоПсихологияРелигияРиторикаСоциологияСпортСтроительствоТехнологияТуризмФизикаФилософияФинансыХимияЧерчениеЭкологияЭкономикаЭлектроника
Задание 1. Прочитайте тест, к каждому абзацу подберите наиболее подходящий заголовок
1. The United States of America is the fourth largest country in the world in area. It covers a large territory of about 9,400,000 square kilometers in the central and southern part of North America, extending from the Atlantic Ocean in the east to the Pacific Ocean in the west. It also includes Alaska in the northwestern part of North America and Hawaii far out in the Pacific Ocean. The United States of America borders Canada in the north and Mexico in the south. The United States is often called the US, the USA, or America.
2. One can't describe the country without mentioning its surface. The USA can be divided into three main regions: the Appalachians in the east, the plain in the central part, the Cordilleras including the Rocky Mountains, Sierra Nevada, and the dry Californian Valley between them in the west. Many rivers are flowing through the country, such as the swiftest Columbia and Colorado, the longest Mississippi with its main tributaries the Missouri and the Ohio. The northeastern part of the USA comprises the region of the five Great Lakes (Superior, Huron, Michigan, Erie, and Ontario) connected by natural channels which are cut by rapids (the greatest one — the Niagara Falls).
3. The USA is rich in natural resources. It has vast areas of fertile soil, an abundant water supply, and large areas of forests. There are also large deposits of minerals, such as coal, iron ore, natural gas, etc.
4. The United States is the third largest country in the world in population (about 250 million people). About 94 per cent of the people were born in the United States. The largest foreign-born groups are Mexicans, Germans, Canadians, Italians, British, and Cubans. The US has never had an official language, but English has always been the main language spoken in the country. Emigrants from the British Isles, including the nation's founders, spoke English. Spanish is the second most common language in the USA.
5. The US consists of 50 states and the District of Columbia. The District of Columbia is a piece of land set aside by the federal government for the nation's capital, Washington, D.C. The United States has a federal system of government with the President at the head.
6. The national symbols of the USA include the American flag and the Great Seal. There are 50 stars on the American flag symbolizing 50 states of the USA, and 13 stripes representing 13 original states. On the one side of the Great Seal, there is an eagle holding an olive branch and arrows, which are symbolizing a desire for peace and the ability to wage a war. On the reverse side, there is the Eye of Providence, representing God, and a pyramid dated 1776.
Задание 2. Ответьте на вопросы
Дата добавления: 2014-11-13; просмотров: 43; Нарушение авторских прав