АвтомобилиАстрономияБиологияГеографияДом и садДругие языкиДругоеИнформатикаИсторияКультураЛитератураЛогикаМатематикаМедицинаМеталлургияМеханикаОбразованиеОхрана трудаПедагогикаПолитикаПравоПсихологияРелигияРиторикаСоциологияСпортСтроительствоТехнологияТуризмФизикаФилософияФинансыХимияЧерчениеЭкологияЭкономикаЭлектроника
Exercise3. Are the following sentences True or False.
1. The NIH consists of 26 separate institutes, occupies 75 buildings all over the world.
2. The goal of NIH research is knowledge that helps detect and diagnose disease and disability – everything from the rarest genetic disorder to the cancer.
3. NIH research has helped make possible some medical achievements, for example, mortality from heart disease, the number-one killer in the United States, dropped 41 percent between 1971 and 1991.
4. One of the first tests with protease inhibitors showed that only the drug made the amount of virus in the patients’ blood almost disappear, but that their immune systems rebounded faster than anyone had thought possible.
5. The death rate for strokes increased by 59 percent during the same time.
6. Unfortunately percentage of Americans who smoke has increased from almost 50 percent to approximately 85 percent.
7. Smoking is no longer permitted in most public buildings or on trains, buses, and airplanes traveling within the United States and most American restaurants are divided into areas where smoking is permitted and those where it is not.
Exercise4. Answer the questions:
1. What is the National Institute of Health responsible for?
2. What’s its contribution to the medical research?
3. What is the basic goal of NIH research?
4. What is considered to be the number-one killer in the USA?
5. Is the last result of research successful?
6. How did the NIH genetic research help to biomedical science?
7. Are the drugs worked out by universities’ laboratories and corporations to be tested by the NIH?
8. Which type of drugs was developed for treatment of the AIDS?
9. What are the main damages for our organism in the opinion of the NIH?
10. Which measure and treatment have the American research laboratories found in order to prevent different diseases?
11. Do such centers function in our country?
Illnesses:Ache, ear ache, headache, stomach ache, toothache, cancer, cold, cough, flu, heart attack, heart disease, infection, infectious disease, pain, virus, hemorrhage, to cause shock, arterial bleeding, to lose one’s consciousness, minor cuts, scrapes, burns
Treatment: Bandage, check-up, dose (of medicine), drugs, injection, give some an injection, medicine, take medicine, operation, pain-killer, pill, plaster, tablet, tranquilizer, anesthetics, lancet, whole blood, a sterile dressing, ointment, antibiotic, CPR
Health and Healthcare – People:Dentist, doctor, general practitioner, midwife, nurse, patient, specialist, surgeon, stretcher-bearer, paramedic
Health and Healthcare – Places:Hospitals, operating theatre, surgery, waiting room, ward, hospice, asylum
Health and Healthcare – Verbs:Tocatch, to cure, to heal, to hurt, to injure, to operate on, to prescribe, to make a prescription, to treat, to treatment, to give first aid to, to make a call to some place, to remove, to ambulance, to equip, to squeeze, to vomit, to fix, to subside, to deteriorate, to add, to fill, to mix, to pour, to shake, to stir, to make the first aid
Health and Healthcare – Adjectives:Fit, ill, sick, feel sick, be sick, healthy, unhealthy, painful, unwell, well
Plastic Surgery:plastic surgery, surgeon, liposuction, complication, Botox, silicone, trauma, face lifting, reduction scar.
Дата добавления: 2015-05-08; просмотров: 15; Нарушение авторских прав