АвтомобилиАстрономияБиологияГеографияДом и садДругие языкиДругоеИнформатикаИсторияКультураЛитератураЛогикаМатематикаМедицинаМеталлургияМеханикаОбразованиеОхрана трудаПедагогикаПолитикаПравоПсихологияРелигияРиторикаСоциологияСпортСтроительствоТехнологияТуризмФизикаФилософияФинансыХимияЧерчениеЭкологияЭкономикаЭлектроника
TASK 9 (Letters 46-51)
1. Read the text and find in it the words and word combinations from this list, supply them with Russian equivalents.
Word List 9
to strike smb
to get attached to smb
Silence means consent.
pressing world problems
to anticipate the future
to reach the goal
2. Remember the context in which they were used.
3. Answer the following questions:
1) Why did Judy elect economics that year? How did she characterize the subject?
2) What was the Founder’s dance in Judy’s college like? Who could attend it? Whom did the girls invite for Founder’s dance? How did they spend that day?
3) How did Judy describe the dresses to Daddy?
4) What did Judy receive in her Christmas box?
5) Who invited Judy to visit New York? Did Judy look forward to going to Julia’s place? Why did she think it would be funny that she would sit at the tables of the rich? Where would she prefer to go for the holidays? Why?
6) What did she think of the people with whom she was staying in New York?
7) What did Judy see in New York? What was her opinion of the city?
8) Why was Judy so anxious to pass her examinations well that term?
9) How did Judy pass her mid-year examinations and what subjects did she choose to study in the new semester?
4. Develop these ideas from Judy’s letters:
5. Comment on the following:
6. Find sentences in the text to prove that:
– Judy was much more fascinated by college life than entertainments in New York;
– Judy was an independent girl (you can use the previous letters as well);
– Mrs Pendleton didn’t approve of Master Jervie’s behavior.
7. Get ready to speak on the following:
– Judy: an upper-class girl.
8. Speak on the part of Judy and say what you think:
a) of New York;
b) of the Pendletons.
9. Write an essay on one of the topics from Ex. 5.
Дата добавления: 2015-09-13; просмотров: 13; Нарушение авторских прав