АвтомобилиАстрономияБиологияГеографияДом и садДругие языкиДругоеИнформатикаИсторияКультураЛитератураЛогикаМатематикаМедицинаМеталлургияМеханикаОбразованиеОхрана трудаПедагогикаПолитикаПравоПсихологияРелигияРиторикаСоциологияСпортСтроительствоТехнологияТуризмФизикаФилософияФинансыХимияЧерчениеЭкологияЭкономикаЭлектроника
Grammar Exercises. Ex.1 Find the subject and state what it is expressed by
Ex.1 Find the subject and state what it is expressed by . Translate the sentences into Russian.
1. What I want is fresh air.
2. The young must be in the first ranks.
3. Learning about other cultures is interesting.
4. Three and four make seven.
5. Everyone was silent for a minute.
6. The wounded were taken great care of.
7. His being late influenced his career.
8. To live is to work.
9. Watching the sunrise, the couple felt happy.
10. A journalist knocked on our door one afternoon.
11. They say she knows French perfectly.
12. Who is to blame?
13. After the show, the crowd applauded and screamed for fifteen minutes.
14. Should we leave now?
15. In a couple of months, Ellen and Mary became close friends.
16. One wants to live forever.
17. His was a happy life.
18. For over an hour, my father and uncle have been fixing the furnace.
19. Being polite to other people is important.
20. Jim has always been a good problem solver.
21. For her to come was impossible.
Ex.2 Translate the sentences into Russian paying attention to the pronoun it used as the subject.
1. It isn’t hard to make friends.
2. How far is it from your home to the office?
3. It’s six o’clock now. I think it’s too early to get up.
4. The teacher said that it was important for the students to finish the experiment in time.
5. It’ll be interesting for us to meet again.
6. I wonder if it will rain tomorrow.
7. We decided to stay at home because it was snowing hard.
8. It’s wrong to cheat during a test.
9. The door suddenly opened. It was opened by a young girl who was looking rather strange.
10. Let’s go out if it stops raining.
11. Do you think it’ll be easy for you to live in a foreign country?
12. It was growing dark and we hurried to return home.
Ex.3 Insert there or it. Translate the sentences into Russian.
1. The clock struck nine ….. was no sign of any of the other guests.
2. ….. is important to be polite to other people.
3. I am afraid ….. is no use even trying to prevent it.
4. We were sure ….. was a rule for such cases, but we couldn’t remember it, though.
5. ….. was quite chilly in the dining-room.
6. Then ….. was a sudden burst of applause, ….. was unexpected for the actors.
7. ….. was five kilometres from the rancho to the town, …..was quite possible to drive to town every day.
8. ….. was easy for the students to speak English to us.
9. ….. remained only to sign the will.
10. ….. isn’t much fun to have a cold.
11. ….. grew dark outside.
Ex.4 Find the predicate. Translate the sentences into Russian.
1. The oceans affect weather.
2. Twenty rolls of wallpaper were delivered to the office.
3. She couldn’t help crying.
4. Nothing is going to happen to you, I suppose everything will be O.K.
5. I will have gone by then.
6. Everyone remained silent.
7. They must have played soccer for three hours without stopping.
8. Will the universe expand forever?
9. According to the scientists’theory, the universe began with a huge explosion.
10. He went on eating in silence.
11. She used to meet with her friends at a small cafe.
12. In May, I will have worked at Kodak for 5 years.
13. From now on, the entire family must help with the housework.
14. At last, an honest person is running for mayor.
15. Every Tuesday night between eight and nine o’clock, Helen would practice her roller skating.
16. Are you taking an aerobics class?
17. The cars and trucks are covered with snow.
18. I thought that all I was doing was tying to help her.
Ex. 5 Fill in the blanks with one of the following link -verbs.
To sound, to become, to seem, to appear, to come, to be, to look, to get, to fall, to go
1. His brother often …... relaxed and happy.
2. Tracy ….. a medical technician.
3. This sunny weather ….. a pleasant surprise.
4. You often ….. worried.
5. Hurry up! It ….. late.
6. The child soon …. fast asleep in her mother’s arms.
7. The dreams of his life ….true.
8. He understood that he was in a trap. His face …. tense.
9. Jerry ….sleepy today.
10. We …. awake all night.
11. Aunt Claudia sometimes ….a little strange.
12. Ronda always ….the best debater on the team.
13. Andrew ….more and more alarmed.
14. The actress …. rapidly famous.
15. On seeing him she ….as pale as death.
Ex.6 Translate the following into Russian paying attention to the predicatives. State by what part of speech they are expressed.
1. Further events were of great significance.
2. Beauty is everlasting.
3. You are nobody.
4. This orange tastes bitter.
5. I’m afraid I can’t keep my word.
6. She is a very talented singer.
7. He was the first to rush into the room.
8. His first wish was to go away and the sooner, the better.
9. The events were beyond her understanding.
10. My favourite sport is jogging.
11. Eliza was greatly surprised.
Ex.7 Open the brackets using the infinitives in the proper form. Pay attention to the rules of agreement.
1. “Little Dorrit” (to be written) by Ch. Dickens.
2. There (to be) much traffic at night and many people on the streets.
3. Neither I or my brother (to be) to blame.
4. Everybody (to be) glad to see him again.
5. The day was warm and many people (to be sitting) at their doors.
6. Their (to be) plenty of rooms at the hotel.
7. Twenty divided by five (equal) four.
8. My brother as well as I (to be) ready to help you.
9. Three metres (to be) not enough for this dress.
10. Official news (to be) sad.
11. Don’t move! The police (to be) all over the place.
12. It (to be) only you who can find the way out of this situation.
13. It (to be) all the money? You are kidding!
14. Classical and light music (to have) both their admirers.
Ex.8 Translate the following sentences into Russian paying attention to the kind of object.
1. She pretended not to hear.
2. He found it impossible to make one more step.
3. The policeman ordered them to stop.
4. The parents were proud of their children.
5. Why do you insist on my doing it?
6. When he came home, he found a lot of guests in his dining-room.
7. I envied him all my life.
8. We are going to buy little Tommy a toy on his birthday.
9. The teacher dictated to the students the names of the books to be read for their examination.
10. I’ll give my present to you tomorrow.
11. Forgive me my being rude to you.
12. The captain asked the soldier his name.
13. I’ll retell this story to you later.
14. I am glad to hear these words, I hope they are sincere.
Ex.9 Translate into English.
1. Объясните мне, пожалуйста, значение этого слова.
2. Он посвящал своему хобби все свободное время.
3. Студентам преподают немецкий как второй язык.
4. Это задание было дано ей, а не вам.
5. Что вам сказали?
6. Ей простили ее ошибку.
7. Передайте мне соль, пожалуйста.
8. Оставьте записку для него у секретаря.
9. Нам показали список гостей, которые будут приглашены.
10. Ему потребовалось совсем немного времени для того, чтобы выучить эти правила.
11. Я сказал тебе об этом заранее, чтобы ты была готова услышать это сообщение спокойно, хотя бы внешне.
12. Вот статья, отдай ее редактору.
13. Отец велел не уходить из дома до его возвращения.
14. Я не пыталась влиять на него, он уже принял решение.
15. У меня к вам есть несколько вопросов.
16. Помоги мне решить эту задачу, пожалуйста.
Ex.10 Find the attribute and say by what it is expressed. Translate the sentences into Russian.
1. This information is very important.
2. There are many new methods of teaching.
3. It was not a matter to be discussed even with her close friend.
4. Our plans have suddenly changed.
5. She was always the last to leave the classroom.
6. A tender smile lit Mary’s face.
7. There was something mysterious about this man.
8. What time do you usually have dinner?
9. His mother’s nerves would never stand this news.
10. Imagine the idea of his coming into my life again!
11. The problem mentioned in the article turned out to unexpectedly interesting.
12. His business instinct was faultless.
13. She always said some polite words to the people she had dinner with.
14. She was pale with terror.
15. An officer, standing beside her, was unknown.
Ex.11 Point out the kind of adverbial modifier, and state by what it is expressed. Translate the sentences into Russian.
1. In two days she was well again.
2. After receiving her answer to his proposal, he felt ill at ease.
3. She had to talk to him because of her being too polite.
4. They were a bit surprised at seeing me.
5. Why do you always look at things with such practical eyes?
6. He usually drank his wine at one gulp.
7. They decided to meet near the entrance to the theatre.
8. The effect of the medicine was unexpectedly strong.
9. She darted on like a wind but it was too late, her rival had come to the goal long before her.
10. We came back because of heavy snow.
11. They have gathered to discuss some problems.
12. The performance is rather good, I should say.
13. David and Mary often sat side by side among the hills.
14. When questioned, she explained everything.
15. She left the room without saying good-bye to anybody.
16. He stopped and looked at his wife, his eyes extremely proud.
17. My sister does everything much better then I.
18. He stared at her embarrassed as if he did not understand her.
Ex.12 Complete the following sentences using your own possible adverbial modifiers.
a) of time:
1. The parents hope to see their son ….
2. We often went to the theatre ….
3. …. I couldn’t understand her.
4. She smiled ….
5. It was raining ….
6. They will be ready ….
7. You should be careful …
8. …. he nodded and left.
b) of place:
1. She sat …looking at ….
2. He was waiting for us ….
3. We were seated ….
4. John put his hand ….
5. Mary enjoyed walking ….
6. Our guide offered us to pass …
c) of degree:
1. I see you are ….happy.
2. We were …. priviledged to be invited to this dinner party.
3. This work tired us ….
4. The effect of her words was …. unexpected for her.
5. The weather is …. very nasty today.
6. I am …. surprised to see you safe and sound. The situation was …. dangerous.
d) of manner and attending circumstances:
1. They returned …
2. She behaved ….
3. We were talking … not to disturb the neighbors ….
4. I can’t imagine him acting ….
5. “Who’s there?” she asked ….
6. He put on his coat ….
Ex.13: Addto where necessary. blank.
1. 1. I haveto go downtown tomorrow.
2. 2. Tom can 0 play soccer.
3. Could you please ______ open the window?
4. The students must ______ learn all of the irregular verbs.
5. Sally has ______ do her history report tonight.
6. I think you should ______ take better care of yourself.
7. I ought ______ go to the post office this afternoon.
8. Would you ______ speak more slowly, please?
9. We may ______ go to Argentina for our vacation.
10. Will you please ______ mail this letter for me?
11. Tom and I might ______ play tennis after work tomorrow.
12. You had better ______ see a doctor.
13. We can ______ go shopping tomorrow.
14. The students have ______ take a test next Friday.
15. I have got ______ go to the post office this afternoon.
16. Shouldn't you ______ save a little money for a rainy day?
17. Poor Edward. He has ______ go to the hospital for an operation.
18. Alex! Stop! You must not ______ run into the street when there's traffic!
19. May I please ______ have the salt and pepper? Thanks.
20. You'd better not ______ come to the meeting late. The boss will ______ be angry if you're late.
21. I've had a lot of trouble sleeping the last few nights. I've got _____ get a good night's sleep! I can barely ______ stay awake in class.
Ex.14: Complete the dialogues. Useshould, ought to, orhad better.
Choose from the expressions in the list or use your own words.
borrow some money
call the landlord and complain
call the police
drink a glass of waterfind a new apartment
find a new girlfriend
get a job
go back to the restaurant and ask if
someone found them hold your breath
marry somebody who is rich
put cotton in your ears
see a dentist
send her a dozen roses
soak it in cold water
speak English outside of class
take it back to the store
use a dictionary when he writs
watch TV a lot
1. A: I have a toothache. This tooth hurts. What should I do?*
B: You shouldl ought tolfiad better see a dentist.____
2. A: I have the hiccups. What should I do?
3. A: Ah wants to improve his English. What should he do?
4. A: I don't have any money. I'm broke. I can't pay my rent. I don't have enough money to pay my bills. What should I do?
5. . A: Someone stole my bicycle. What should I do?
6. A: I cut my finger. I got blood on my sweater. My finger is okay, but I'm worried about my sweater. What should I do?
7. A: Tom's spelling isn't very good. He makes a lot of mistakes when he writes compositions. What should he do?
8. A: Ann bought a new tape recorder. After two days, it stopped working. What should she do?
9. A: The refrigerator in my apartment doesn't work. The stove doesn't work. The air conditioner doesn't work. And there are cockroaches in the kitchen. What should I do?
10. I asked Mary to marry me. She said no. What should I do?
11. I left my sunglasses at a restaurant yesterday. What should I do?
12. . A My husband/wife snores. I can't get to sleep at night. What should I do?B: _______________________________________
Дата добавления: 2015-09-13; просмотров: 6; Нарушение авторских прав