АвтомобилиАстрономияБиологияГеографияДом и садДругие языкиДругоеИнформатикаИсторияКультураЛитератураЛогикаМатематикаМедицинаМеталлургияМеханикаОбразованиеОхрана трудаПедагогикаПолитикаПравоПсихологияРелигияРиторикаСоциологияСпортСтроительствоТехнологияТуризмФизикаФилософияФинансыХимияЧерчениеЭкологияЭкономикаЭлектроника
PRE-TEXT EXERCISES. 1. Look at the following international words, guess their meaning and check the pronunciation:
1. Look at the following international words, guess their meaning and check the pronunciation:
System, foundation, university, population, prestigious, contribution, federation, grant, academic, programme, gymnasium, organization, equivalent, regulate, standard, professional, humanities, social-economic, discipline, project, final, practice, period
2. Here are some expressions with the preposition in. Translate and learn them:
3. Fill in the gaps with the preposition in or the expressions above in the appropriate form:
1. The portrait was painted ___ oil.
2. Yesterday Ann was dressed ___ white.
3. He felt at that moment he was ___ love with the whole world.
4. They searched everywhere, but it was ___ vain.
5. ___ his ___ it was too late to publish this article.
6. The doctor advised her not to sit ___ the sun so long.
7. Everybody knew that Helen was ___ love with Bob.
8. He liked to run ___ the open air every spring.
9. She is interested ___ some collections of minerals.
10. They always keep everything ___ secret from the others.
11. He is ___ need of money. Can you lend him some?
12. ___ their opinion I am a fool to help you.
13. He tried to lift the heavy log, but it was ___ vain.
14. Ann did not know what to do ___ these circumstances.
15. They are interested ___ these problems.
16. He has no interest ___ music.
17. ___ fact we did this work ourselves.
18. They stood ___ the sun too long. The sun was pitiless ___ the heat.
4. Find the English equivalents for the following Russian words:
5. Fill in the gaps with the correct word to complete the sentences:
1. Every year students ___ a specialty that includes several main disciplines: the humanities, social and physical sciences, engineering.
2. Students ___ to work out new decisions in the area of engineering.
3. He insisted ___ visiting his parents.
4. Your face seems familiar to me. We ___ have met somewhere.
5. Using modern information technologies the students ___ many different problems.
6. BRAINSTORMING: Explain the meaning of the following words and phrases in English:
Constitution; right to education; higher education; extramural and evening courses; Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree; a thesis; the system of state scholarship and grants
Дата добавления: 2014-11-13; просмотров: 7; Нарушение авторских прав