АвтомобилиАстрономияБиологияГеографияДом и садДругие языкиДругоеИнформатикаИсторияКультураЛитератураЛогикаМатематикаМедицинаМеталлургияМеханикаОбразованиеОхрана трудаПедагогикаПолитикаПравоПсихологияРелигияРиторикаСоциологияСпортСтроительствоТехнологияТуризмФизикаФилософияФинансыХимияЧерчениеЭкологияЭкономикаЭлектроника
The mobile telephone, fast train and air travel have cut the problem of distance for today's business executives. However, where the addressee cannot be reached by telephone, the fax and the telex messages may still prove valuable. Generally speaking, telex machines are now used only where there is a need for a legal proof and when a fax message is unacceptable.
The telex is a machine like a typewriter, but with a dial on its casing. A message can be sent by dialing the receiver's number, by dialing and using the keyboard for some countries, or by asking the operator to connect you.
The telex has all the advantages of sending a cable and in addition it operates in the office and offers a direct line. It is available twenty-four hours a day, and can send cables as well as telex messages.
Operating the telex: once the telex operator has dialed the code, an answerback code will appear on the teleprinter indicating that the sender is through. If the wrong code appears, the sender dials again. The message is typed, as with a normal typewriter, and appears on the receiver's machine.
Corrections are made by typing five X's: WE ARE SEDXXXXXSENDING ORDER.
Each telex message is finished with + sign, if the end is not clear; + + sign is used after the last message; + ? sign at the end of a message means either “reply, confirm” or “A further message will be sent”.
6. Study the layout and the language of telexes.
The Layout of the Telex:
Telexes have their own language. Some words are left out altogether, e.g. articles, prepositions, pronouns “I”, “you”, auxiliary verbs “to be”, “to have”, “will”. Instead of “I'll write soon” it is written “WRITING SOON” or “LETTER FOLLOWS”; instead of “Please will you write soon” –“PLEASE WRITE SOON”.
Telex charges depend on the time it takes to send the message, so telex operators have developed their own abbreviations:
ASAP, SOONEST – as soon as possible
ATTN – attention
CFM – confirm, I confirm
EEE – error
ETA – estimate time of arrival
EXT – extension
FIN - I have finished my message now
FR – from
L/C – letter of credit
MGR – manager
MOM – waits, waiting
PLS, SVP – please
RAP – I shall call you back
RECALL – call me back
RODS – regards
THRU – through
THKS – thanks
TLX – telex
U – you
W – words
X – error
Figures and symbols should be written in words, e.g.: FIFTY DOLLARS for $50.00; AT for @; PER CENT for %.
The word “telex” can be used as a noun, a verb and a participle, e.g.: “Please telex as soon as possible” or “We received a telexed reply”.
7. Decode the following two telexes
8. Write these sentences as if you are sending a telex.
1. I have booked your flight to Manchester, departing from Brussels at 12:30 on Monday.
2. Would you please inform your representatives?
3. I would be happy if you could suggest a suitable meeting date in August or September.
4. Would you please tell us which day you will be returning?
5. The Madrid conference has been postponed.
6. Thank you for your letter.
7. I can confirm that your order number 442/7 (550 rolls of wire netting) was dispatched on 24th November.
8. I intend to meet Foster and Gamble on Wednesday, and shall fly back two days later.
9. Consignment No. 441 should arrive Southampton on M.S. Atlanta tomorrow.
10. I met Mr. Larwood yesterday. Everything is satisfactory.
9. Change the following message into telex.
With reference to the construction of the new administrative building, the drawings and details of the project which have so far been received from the consultants are now available. Each department head is asked to study them and forward their comments to this department as soon as possible so that the necessary action can be taken.
10. Underline the key message words in the below text. List the main points covered in the telex.
TO: MARIE ZOLI, EUROPEAN WOMEN’S ASSN.
FROM: ANN WILLIAMS
DATE: NOVEMBER 25, 1999
RE: OURTELCON PROPOSED LUNCHEON
CONCERNING POSSIBILITY OF A LUNCHEON FOR YR CLUB MEMBERS ON BOARD THE FLYING DUTCHMAN IN JUN, AM PLEASED TO CONF THAT WE CAN CATER FOR TWENTY AND SHALL SEND YOU SAMPLE MENU IN NR FUT. A SIMPLER, LESS EXP MENU CAN BE ARRNGD IF DESIRED. RE YR PROPOSED TALK ON LIFE IN ITALY, I REGRET TO SAY THAT WE DO NOT HAVE SUFF SPACE TO ACCOMM ONE HUNDRED. ON THE OTHER HAND, WE COULD ARRNG SPACE FOR FIFTY FOR YR ANN GEN MTG. IN FACT, I HAVE ALREADY DISC THIS WITH MRS. HEWLETT WHO CONTACTED ME ON THIS SUBJ LST MTH. PLS DO NOT HESITATE TO CONTACT ME FOR FURTHER DETAILS.
11. The following telexes have just come to you. Paraphrase them verbally and choose the correct action to be taken in the questionnaire.
1. AM ADV PLASFIL CO EARLY THIS MTH PRODUCED TWO DOCS WHICH ARE ON WAY TO TRIAL COUSEL IN MUNICH AND THAT ADDTL DOCS MAY BE SUPPLIED BY NOV 18. CALL US WHEN U REC COPIES OF DOCS TO DISC APPROACH FOR RESP TO COMPLNT.
2. THIS IS TO CONF MY UNDERSTANDING OF OURTELCON. THE PURCHASE PRICE OF INDIV SHARES WILL BE BOOK VALUE AT OCT 31 OF YR PRECEDING PURCHASE, BUT WILL NOT EXCEED AMOUNT ORIG DISCUSSED. PLS NOTIFY YR REQUIREMENTS.
3. URG U CALL THIS OFFICE WITHIN 48 HRS CONC YR DEFAULTED STUDENT LOAN. FAILURE TO PAY YR DEBT MAY RESULT IN ASSIGNMENT OF YR ACCT TO U.S. ATTORNEY. UNL THIS DEBT IS PD IN FULL, ADMIN COSTS, ATTORNEY FEES AND COURT COSTS WILL BE ADDED TO THIS DEBT.
Choose the correct action to be taken in each of the following:
1. (a) Call sender when you receive copies of documents.
(b) Send two documents to Munich.
(c) No action to be taken.
(d) Call sender to discuss approach to adopt.
2. (a) Call to confirm telephone conversation.
(b) No action to be taken.
(c) Inform sender of your requirements re shares.
3. (a) You must pay your debt immediately.
(b) No action to be taken.
(c) Call sender’s office immediately.
(d) Pay administration costs.
Дата добавления: 2015-01-01; просмотров: 40; Нарушение авторских прав