1 Reading is not only limited to bridging the information gap for academic purposes.
2 The more you read, the wider your horizons.
3 Reading may arouse deep emotions and improve our mood.
4 It can make us sentimental or optimistic and remove us from dull thoughts.
5 Reading stirs people’s imagination, fills their minds with new ideas, makes them think and inspires to greater efforts.
6 Reading creates a special spiritual world that is very important for one’s development as a human being.
7 Collecting books can be an exciting experience, pastime and/or hobby.
8 Reading is an excellent means of entertainment and relaxation.
5 Look back at Ex. 2 and Ex. 4 and find words and expressions in italics which mean the following. Which of them are phrasal verbs?
- books in soft cover
- exciting and interesting
- smth you need badly
- stop doing smth
- a big difference between the situations, amounts, etc.
- the limit of your ideas, knowledge, etc.
- to make someone have a strong feeling or reaction
- to encourage someone by making them feel confident and eager to do smth
- an article in a newspaper or magazine that gives an opinion about a new book, play, film, etc.
6 Below are names of most popular literary genres. Can you match them with their definitions?
a short story
- the story of your own life which you have written yourself, especially about your involvement in important political or military events
- a piece of writing that expresses emotions, experiences, and ideas, especially in short lines using words that rhyme
- a long written story in which the characters and events are usually imaginary
a children's story in which magical things happen
a fairy tale
a short piece of writing giving someone's ideas about politics, society etc.
- a short piece of writing in which the writer tells a story
- a story that is written to be performed by actors, especially in a theatre
- a book about someone's life, written by another person
- stories about events in the future which are affected by imaginary developments in science, for example about travelling in time or to other planets with life on them
- a short story in prose or verse which is written so that a moral may be learnt from it.
science fiction (sci fi)
- a book in which you write down the things that happen to you each day
- a book in which someone writes about their own life
4 As is known, stories may vary according to the subject matter and include thrillers, mysteries, horror stories, ghost stories, spy stories, crime stories, adventure stories, detective stories, love stories, etc. and, of course, sci fi stories and fairy tales.
lektsii.com - Лекции.Ком - 2014-2021 год. (0.008 сек.)
Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав
Главная страницаСлучайная страницаКонтакты