АвтомобилиАстрономияБиологияГеографияДом и садДругие языкиДругоеИнформатикаИсторияКультураЛитератураЛогикаМатематикаМедицинаМеталлургияМеханикаОбразованиеОхрана трудаПедагогикаПолитикаПравоПсихологияРелигияРиторикаСоциологияСпортСтроительствоТехнологияТуризмФизикаФилософияФинансыХимияЧерчениеЭкологияЭкономикаЭлектроника
Listen to the Webcast Former Liberian leader faces war crimes tribunal again and tick the correct answer
B - Comprehension Test 1
Listen to the Webcast Former Liberian leader faces war crimes tribunal, answer the questions and fill in the gaps.
1. Who is Charles Taylor? How did he rise to power? Why are the Liberians destined to remember him?
2. Why does the reporter believe that he has set a new mark?
3. What is he accused of? What charges is he facing now?
4. How old is he? Has he pleaded guilty to any of the changes?
5. Where does the trial take place? When was it resumed?
STEPHANIE KENNEDY: Just over a decade ago, Charles Taylor came to power promising his country peace and______________.
STEPHANIE KENNEDY: But six years later, ________international pressure, the Liberian president______________________________________.
CHARLES TAYLOR: I can no longer__________, the suffering is enough, for you are good people. You have been very good to me through the grace of God, and I love you from__________________________________.
I will always remember you wherever I am, and I say to you, God willing, I will be back.
These _________________hacked off the limbs of thousands of people during the country's 10 year civil war that ended in 2003.
Jabati Mambu is one of those victims.
JABATI MAMBU: They went into our house, dragged me out of the bed, you know, threw me outside, and they asked that they should cut my hands off. Then I said, "Well, instead I should join you." They said "No," and one of the guys, the commander, commanded____________________________, and the guy came with an axe, and that was what they used_________________.
STEPHANIE KENNEDY: ____________________ that Charles Taylor armed, ________________and controlled Sierra Leone's revolutionary rebels ____________________________________blood diamonds.
The chief prosecutor at the UN-backed Special Court for Sierra Leone is Stephen Rapp, and he acknowledges that this case is a_____________________________.
But we have a challenge and we are going to meet that _____________ witnesses from the inside. There are people that are quite close to him, there are people that further away from him that, __________________, hear communications or are __________________ that he has provided, or who ______________his key lieutenants_________________________in Sierra Leone giving orders, or providing material.
STEPHANIE KENNEDY: The trial is being broadcast live to Freetown, and the public ___________________________________
A – Comprehension Test 1
Listen to the Webcast Former Liberian leader faces war crimes tribunalagain and use the information from above to report back the news story. Follow these questions.
1) How according to the presenter did the Liberian leader rise to power? Why does he think Charles Taylor will be long remembered by the Liberians?
2) Why does the journalist say that Charles Taylor has set a new mark this time?
3) What is he accused of and what charges does he face in this case?
4) How old is Charles Taylor? Did he plead guilty to any of the charges?
5) Where does the historic trial take place?
6) What did the Liberian leader promise his people when he came to power?
7) Who made him resign?
8) What country was subjected to terrorism? How did Charles Taylor contribute to the situation in the country?
9) What cruel crimes were committed by the militia?
10) How did one of the victims describe the militia’s actions? What were the criminals like?
11) What is Charles Taylor alleged to have done in exchange for blood diamonds?
12) What difficulties did the chief prosecutor at the Special Court for Sierra Leone experience in judging the case?
13) Who are the witnesses to Taylor’s case? What kind of evidence do they provide?
Дата добавления: 2014-12-23; просмотров: 7; Нарушение авторских прав