АвтомобилиАстрономияБиологияГеографияДом и садДругие языкиДругоеИнформатикаИсторияКультураЛитератураЛогикаМатематикаМедицинаМеталлургияМеханикаОбразованиеОхрана трудаПедагогикаПолитикаПравоПсихологияРелигияРиторикаСоциологияСпортСтроительствоТехнологияТуризмФизикаФилософияФинансыХимияЧерчениеЭкологияЭкономикаЭлектроника
Exercise 16 Think and answer the following.
1. What do students usually do working on the computer; having worked on the computer; writing a term-paper; having completed it; graduating from the Academy; having graduated from the Academy?
2. What does a writer do writing a novel? (having written it?)
3. What does an engineer do designing a new machine (having designed it)?
4. What do job applicants do writing a resume (having written it)?
Exercise 17 Rewrite the sentences, using the Perfect Participle.
Model: He finished work and went home. – Having finished work, he went home.
1. He read a book and went to bed. 2. He worked hard and saved a lot of money. 3. I came to live in the country a few years ago. I now realize how much I hated living in town. 4. He graduated from university, and went off to work in Australia. 5. When you go abroad, it is advisable to take out travel insurance. 6. I came across a wonderful book. I was searching for something interesting to read for several days. 7. I worked hard, and I managed to pass all my exams. 8. When we heard the weather forecast, we decided not to go camping in the mountains.
Exercise 18 Change the following sentences, using participles instead of the subordinateitalicisedclauses.
1. The people who live in this old block of flats will soon get new flats. 2. The question which is being discussed now is very important for the organization of our future work. 3. As we had a lot of time, we did not hurry. 4. As I had left your telephone number at home, I could not ring you up. 5. The woman who is being painted just now is a famous actress. 6. As he was ill for a long time, he could not finish his project in time. 7. After I had read the book, I returned it to the library. 8. Young artists who are taking part in this exhibition have graduated from the institute quite recently. 9. While she was looking at his picture she was thinking of the progress he had made.
Exercise 19 Translate the word combinations using participles.
Лист, одержаний вчора; одержуючи листи; одержавши листа; студенти, які слухають доповідь; прослухав останні новини; слухаючи радіо; дівчинка, яка читає книгу; читаючи книгу; прочитав книгу; студент, який показує свій проект; проект, показаний нам; показуючи свій проект; показав свій проект; маючи усі необхідні документи; коли нас запитали; коли до нас звернулися; зробивши переклад; перекладаючи.
Одиночне Past Participle (іноді Present Participle) у функції означення може стояти після іменника.
The velocity of a reaction depends on the specific nature of the substances involved. - Швидкість реакції залежить від певної природи даних речовин.
Дата добавления: 2014-11-13; просмотров: 20; Нарушение авторских прав