АвтомобилиАстрономияБиологияГеографияДом и садДругие языкиДругоеИнформатикаИсторияКультураЛитератураЛогикаМатематикаМедицинаМеталлургияМеханикаОбразованиеОхрана трудаПедагогикаПолитикаПравоПсихологияРелигияРиторикаСоциологияСпортСтроительствоТехнологияТуризмФизикаФилософияФинансыХимияЧерчениеЭкологияЭкономикаЭлектроника
A. Match pictures 1 – 7 with their descriptions 1) – 6).
1) Although New York City and Philadelphia each served briefly as the capital of the United States, in 1790, Congress chose it as the permanent seat of government. George Washington helped select the site for the city.
2) Nicknamed «the Golden State», it is the third largest state in area after Alaska and Texas. Today it is the land of the giant redwoods; it has the highest population of any state in the nation and is America's principal agricultural state. It is also the home of Hollywood, the center of America's movie and television industry.
3) One of the original 13 states it is known as the «Empire State». The state includes everything from skyscrapers in Manhattan to rivers, mountains, and lakes. Today, it has the third largest population in the US, and remains the financial center of the country.
4) The United States Capitol is the meeting place of the United States Congress, the legislature of the Federal government of the United States. Located in Washington, D.C., it sits atop Capitol Hill.
6) The power of the Executive Branch is vested in the President of the United States, who also acts as head of state and Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces. The White House is the official residence of the President of the United States.
READING 1: THE USA
Дата добавления: 2014-11-13; просмотров: 8; Нарушение авторских прав