АвтомобилиАстрономияБиологияГеографияДом и садДругие языкиДругоеИнформатикаИсторияКультураЛитератураЛогикаМатематикаМедицинаМеталлургияМеханикаОбразованиеОхрана трудаПедагогикаПолитикаПравоПсихологияРелигияРиторикаСоциологияСпортСтроительствоТехнологияТуризмФизикаФилософияФинансыХимияЧерчениеЭкологияЭкономикаЭлектроника
How to Read Faster
There is too much to read these days, and too little time to read every word of it. There are some techniques you could learn to help you read faster. I know of three that are especially good. There are commonsense, practical ways to get the meaning from printed words quickly and efficiently.
Previewing is especially useful for getting a general idea of heavy reading like long magazine and newspaper articles and nonfiction books. Here's how to preview: Read the entire first two paragraphs of the text. Next read only the first sentence of each paragraph. Then read the entire last two paragraphs. Previewing doesn't give you all the details. But it does keep you from spending time on things you don't really want or need to read.
Skimming is a good way to get a general idea of light reading - like poplar magazines or the sports and entertainment sections of the paper. Here's how to skim: Think of your eyes as magnets. Force them to move fast. Sweep them across each and every line of type. Pick up only a few key words (each time) in each line.
So far, you have seen that previewing and skimming can give you a general idea about content – fast. But neither technique can promise more than 50 percent comprehension, because you aren't reading all the words.
To read faster and understand most - if not all - of what you read, you need to know a third technique. Clustering trains you to look at groups of words instead of one at a time - to increase your speed enormously. Here's how to cluster: Train your eyes to see all the words in clusters of up to three or four words at a glance. Here's how to go about it: pick something light to read. Read it as fast as you can. Concentrate on seeing three or four words at once rather than one word at a time. Then reread the piece at your normal speed to see what you missed the first time.
So now you have three ways to help you to read faster. Preview to cut down unnecessary heavy reading. Skim to get a quick general idea of light reading. And cluster to increase your speed and comprehension.
XI. Ответьте на следующие вопросы:
1. What kind of reading material can be previewing recommended for?
2. What kind of reading material calls for skimming?
3. What is skimming?
4. Why are these reading techniques necessary in modern world?
XII. Верны ли следующие утверждения?
1. Previewing is especially useful for getting a general idea of light reading.
2. Light reading is the reading like poplar magazines or the sports and entertainmentsections of the paper.
3. Clustering trains you to look at groups of words instead of one at a time.
XIII. Выберите правильное утверждение, соответствующее информации, данной в тексте:
1. The technique of a) previewing; b) skimming; с) clustering is increasing the speed of reading.
2. Clustering trains you a) to look at groups of words instead of one at a time; b) to find a necessary detail; c) to get a general idea of light reading.
I. Переведите предложения на русский язык:
1. It took them long time to find my house but they were able to do it.
2. My grandmother loved music. She could play the piano very well.
3. You really must work harder if you want to pass that examination.
4. I can't stay in bed tomorrow because I have to work.
5. You needn't clean the windows today. You can do it tomorrow.
II. Вставьте подходящий модальный глагол: can, needn't, may или had to.
1. ___I smoke a cigarette?
2. We___answer a lot of questions at the examination.
3. You___type this letters now. You___do it next morning.
III. Переведите предложения на русский язык:
1. There are several ways to get the meaning from printed words quickly and efficiently.
2. Coming home he saw nobody waiting for him.
3. One day towards evening both the old people sitting in front of their cottage caught a sight of a young girl carrying a bundle in her hand.
IV. Определите причастия настоящего и прошедшего времени (Participle I, Participle II) в предложении.
1. She heard her surname called.
2. The path leading through the coppice soon got lost in the high grass.
3. The students discussed all the news published on the first page of the paper.
V. Переведите предложения на русский язык:
1. Would you mind turning off the radio.
2. Tom suggested having fish for dinner.
3. This evening I enjoy listening to the music.
VI. Определите, каким членом предложения является герундий:
1. Henry didn't feel like being killed.
2. He avoided speaking to me.
3. Judy had an opportunity of speaking to Daddy.
VII. Переведите предложения на русский язык:
1. I like George but I think he tends to talk too much.
2. You seem to have lost your weigh.
3. I wouldn't dare to ask him.
VIII. Определите, каким членом предложения является инфинитив:
1. Can you show me how to use this washing machine.
2. To get this job was his last chance.
3. Do you know what to do if there's a fire in the building?
IX. Поставьте глагол в правильную фoрму - герундий или инфинитив.
1. I don't recommend eating / to eat in that restaurant. The food is awful.
2. Where would you recommend me going / to go for my holidays.
3. The film was very sad. It made me crying / to cry.
X. Прочитайте текст и выполните задание после него.
Дата добавления: 2015-01-01; просмотров: 15; Нарушение авторских прав